Please read this article if your dog is showing any signs of toxicity. These listed are known to be common causes of seizures in dogs: https://www.aspcapro.org/resource/most-common-causes-seizures-dogs
"Food and Drug Administration officials have received thousands of reports of adverse events connected with three products—Bravecto, Nexgard, and Simparica—containing drugs in the isoxazoline class. The agency approved a fourth product, Credelio, containing a drug in the class this year." -Taken from https://www.avma.org/javma-news/2018-11-15/four-flea-tick-products-linked-seizures-ataxia for educational purposes.
If your dogs are on these medications, please consider moving to a more natural and holistic approach to medicine.
This is an important topic for Rhodesian Ridgeback owners since Ridgebacks are known for eating things whether they be edible or not. A few years ago I had a puppy eat two vinyl cleaning gloves and nearly die because they turned into a rock-like substance in her intestines. It took nearly a week to pass through and nearly required a very expensive surgery.
So there are some things that are obviously not intended to be ingested. Let's explore the things that some may not realize can be hazardous or even potentially deadly.
Foods and Items Toxic to Dogs:
· Yeast dough
· Coffee grounds
· Macadamia nuts
· Leaves and stems of potatoes and tomatoes
· Onions and onion powder
· Garlic cloves
· Pear and peach kernels
· Wild Cherry
· Balsam Pear
· Japanese Plum
· Chicken bones (splinters can cause major intestinal problems)
· Xylitol. (candy, gum, toothpaste, baked goods, and some diet foods and some peanut butters are sweetened with xylitol)
· Toxic plants & foliage list: https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants?field_toxicity_value%5B%5D=01
· Cleaners such as bleach, liquid disinfectants & Laundry detergent
· Grain free dog foods are now known to potentially cause heart and organ problems in dogs. Consult your veterinarian for food advice.
In addition, table scraps in general can cause digestive upset and obesity. It is better to purchase treats specifically for your dog that are safe for him.
Bravecto, Nexgard, and Simparica are known to cause seizures and other toxicity side effects in dogs.
Symptoms of toxicity in dogs:
If your dog has these symptoms it will be an obvious medical emergency, but they are sometimes mistaken for other issues. Please be careful to "puppy proof" your home so they do not get into these items. Also, it is a good idea to instruct family and friends alike not to feed your dog "human food" as to not accidentally give them something toxic.
Copyright © 2021 Legacy Rhodesian Ridgebacks - All Rights Reserved.
Photos on site not to be used without permission.